Do you dream of having a beautifully designed lawn around the house? We all do! The truth is weeds can ruin your dream of decorating your lawns. Once, weeds start growing, your months of hard works can all go in vain. Weed killers and herbicides are the only way to rescue your lawns. However, several weed killers are harmful to kids and pets. Therefore, we prefer to use only organic pet safe weed killer. You don’t need to worry about harming your plants or pets as these herbicides come in natural variants as well.
Here we have listed 5 best pet friendly weed killers or herbicides that are completely safe around humans and pets.
5 Best Pet Safe Weed Killer for Your Lawns
#1. ECO GARDEN Organic Weed Killer:
Most importantly, you can stay rest assured that ECO Garden PRO will not negatively impact the environment.
ECO Garden solution weed killer is all-natural and organic and designed for safe use around the household. No dangerous chemicals are used therefore it is safe for both kids and pets.
In fact, they made a product that can compete with other synthetic weed killers, without harming the environment and ecology.
The formula contains two natural active ingredients like organic white vinegar and Himalayan rock salt. In fact, these active ingredients work together to quickly kill a broad spectrum of weeds and prevent immediate regrowth.
- Organic weed killer is safe for pets. It is even safe for bees, fish and other lively stock. Eco Garden Pro is keeping the safety of you and your family.
- The natural and organic formula kills weeds and grass quickly. Their unique formula will deliver quick results within 24 hours.
- Besides, it doesn’t allow regrowth and kills the roots.
- Mostly, perfect for all areas like residential, commercial, industrial, and agricultural use that includes sidewalks, etc.
- Also, it works great for removing clover, moss and poison ivy. The Eco Garden Pro will ensure eliminating all conventional general weeds and grass.
- After all, without any toxic chemicals, Eco Garden Pro works very effectively. Additionally, the formula is environment-friendly and 100% biodegradable. As well, it is phosphate-free and even safe for your groundwater.
#2. Green Gobbler Pet Safe Weed Killer:
Our next pet friendly weed killer Green Gobbler is one of the effective and easiest ways to kill weeds from your yards. Simply, spray the herbicides on the selected weeds. Green contact is an approved organic formula weed killer which is made from corn. Now you can put an end to annoying weeds on your lawns once and for all, without using dangerous chemicals like glyphosate.
- This weed killer eliminates any type of weed within hours of using. You can expect complete desiccation in less than a day.
- Normally, Green Gobbler contains 20% acetic acid that helps to knock down weeds like dandelions, crabgrass, white clover, clover weeds, moss, etc.
- In fact, it is completely safe to apply anywhere. You can spray along fences, near foundations, and between pavers in walkways, pathways, etc.
- Moreover, this natural weed killer is safe for dogs and cats.
- After all, the solution is stronger than traditional table vinegar which is made strictly from ethanol distilled from corn grains.
#3. Doctor Kirchner Natural Weed Killer Safe for Pets:
Our third pet safe weed killer is the best solution to keep your lawns and gardens weed-free. Doctor Kirchner keep maintaining your garden and lawn safely takes care of killing weed without harming other plants. You will see results so fast as it effects quickly and great for spot treatment. In fact, this herbicide is made from commercial food-grade vinegar and ocean water. Also, it is not harmful to the environment.
Most importantly, it works fast and weeds begin to wither in hours of spraying. It has a long shelf life as natural Weed Killer will last for many years.
- Like other herbicides, a natural weed killer.
- Generally, the solution is made from ocean saltwater, commercial strength food-grade vinegar, and soap.
- In fact, it is an alternative to harmful herbicides and toxic weed treatments.
- Most importantly, a pet friendly weed killer as well environment-friendly when used as instructed.
#4. Natural Armor Weed Killer:
The fourth herbicide in this list is an all-natural, concentrated weed killer that kills more than 250+ different types of weeds and grasses.
Natural Armor Weed & Grass Killer is easy simple to use. All you need to do is to spray and you are good to go.
- Like other organic weed killers, it is non-toxic, biodegradable as well eco-friendly
- Most importantly, it is completely safe for pets and peoples.
- Usually, it can be applied anywhere such as Trees, Flower Beds, Barns, Shrubs, Gravel Areas, Fences Foundations, Parking Areas, Patios and Driveways, Walkways, Pathway, Etc.
- Also, they have a 100% money back guaranty if you are not pleased with the result
#5. BioSafe Pet Friendly Weed Killer:
BioSafe Weed Control is an organic weed killing soap that provides a burndown of annual and perennial broadleaf weeds and grasses quickly. This is a good option for both avid and new gardeners.
BioSafe Weed Control is easy to use with immediately visible results. In addition, it destroys the unwanted plant within hours of application. As this Weed Control does not leave any residue behind, gardeners can replant just four days after the application. After all, it is a non-volatile and water-soluble herbicide.
- BioSafe herbicides kill weeds and grasses very fast as well it will not migrate through the soil to harm surrounding plants of future growths
- Your gardens can be re-seeded or replanted just four days after use
- After all, it is organically OMRI approved.
- Moreover, you can apply only 2 fl. oz. to covers up to 200 sq. ft.
How to Buy a Pet Friendly Weed Killer/Grass Killer
Here we go with the important points which you should check upon before buying a weed killer which is not only non-toxic but also creates a safe and sound environment around your pets. Without much delay, let’s move on to the list of points:
The first and foremost thing which you should look upon while buying a weed killer is how effectively it is working. Do you get to see the results as soon as you use it in your backyard? Or it takes 2-3 hours to show the final results? Keep a check on the effectiveness rate. On the other hand, you have to be cautious if the product is very effective (Like showing results in an instance). In that case, do check the ingredients for any toxic chemical because the average time period of action for a naturally-derived weed killer (or herbicide) is moderately high.
Secondly, to check the effectiveness of the weed-killer, make sure you know how many types of weeds it acts up on. For instance, some of our highly recommended products from the list above, eliminate chickweed, dollar weed, dandelions, white cover and mosses while some others specialize only in eliminating crabgrass.
Probably you’re a working person and you can not afford to spend more than 2-3 hours on your garden daily. In that case, taking usage instructions into consideration before actually buying the product is fairly important. Let’s move on to the former scenario. If you’re really a working person, a weed-killer which is in a spray bottle and is ready-to-use would be the best option without any further thoughts. On the other hand, if you’re a full time gardener who spends most of your time taking care of your saplings, then any of them, be it concentrated normal bottle or dilute spray bottle, would be suitable!
Ingredients and Formulation:
As we always recommend, checking ingredients before buying is one of the most important steps whether you are going for window shopping or online shopping. Since we’re focused more on the safety of pets here, we should not forget to ensure that the ingredients and their percentage in the weed-killer are safe for our pets. To make this a bit easier for you, we have already sorted all the best organic and botanically-derived weed-killers and mentioned them here in this article.
Prevention vs. Killer:
Do you need a weed-killer or weed prevention? There is a vast difference between the two. Some of you might already be having the problem of weed growth, so they would go for weed-killer while some others might just have set up their backyard lawn and they might be thinking of buying a weed prevention to prevent their lawn from weed growth in future. Despite the above two situations, anyone can either go for weed-killer or weed preventer. Make sure you clearly differentiate between the two before buying the wrong product.
You definitely don’t want your weed-killer to get drained away in nearby lakes or rivers in rainy seasons. Well, nobody wants this but the truth is that if you opt for a really cheap weed-killer, chances are that it would get easily washed away even in light showers! This will just let your money go in vain. Henceforth, make sure that the manufacturer guarantees the product to be waterproof.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Are all these weed-killers 100% natural?
They are prepared from natural and Eco-friendly products. Some of them may contain artificial essence or chemicals in minute quantities but that definitely won’t harm your pets.
Q. What if it kills my good grass?
It won’t harm any good grass but definitely attack the bad grass in the strongest way possible.
Q. Can I use them both in vegetable and flower gardening?
Yes, they are safe enough to be used in both vegetable and flower gardening.
Q. Which formulation should I prefer: concentrated or dilute?
All of them mentioned above can be used in either concentrated or dilute form. Moreover, the concentration level also depends on how frequently the weeds return to the garden. If they grow back very frequently, go for concentrated mixture else go for diluted one.
Q. Will it react with my pet’s skin in case it accidentally comes in contact with it?
No. All of them are safe for external use. Even if any of them comes in direct contact with your pet, it won’t harm it.
Q. Can I use it near lakes? Will it affect aquatic life?
You can surely use all of them near lakes. They contain non-toxic products and natural ingredients which do not harm aquatic life.
Q. What is the shelf life of each of these weed killers?
There is no specific shelf life. You can use it till you want. They won’t expire or degrade.
Q. Will it harm honey bees or any other “good-insects”?
No, they do not harm any honey bees or other “good insects”. They all are safe for anything and everything except weeds!
Q. Are they all available in spray bottles?
Yes, You can opt for spray bottles. Once you visit the site, check for the availability of spray bottles and viola, you’re good to go!
Q. Will it migrate to nearby plants and damage them?
Choose a spray bottle and sprinkle it over the area where you find weeds. Don’t overuse it. Though it won’t migrate to nearby plants but it is good to be cautious anyways.
Talking practically, there is no product which is 100% ideal in all the situations for everyone. The ideality of the product depends on several factors like how well it works, how cost efficient it is, how effectively it prevents back the growth of weed and many other similar factors. To help you choose the best according to your needs, we’ve listed some of the best and most popular pet safe weed killer of all times!
Apart from that, we hope you’ll keep in mind our specially written ‘Buying Guide’ which will ease out the process for you as a shopper and help you make a good decision! So, make your choice wisely.
ALSO READ: 9 Best Pet Safe Bug Sprays.
Know the truth about herbicides at Wikipedia.